Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Band. (!)

Niice.

The White Stripes + The Kills + The Raconteurs + Queens of the Stone Age = The Dead Weather

Jack White has teamed up with Kills front-woman W (aka Alison Mosshart), Jack Lawrence (bassist for the Racontuers and Greenhorns) and QOTSA member Dean Fertita to form the Dead Weather. The link
above lets you listen to a track or two.

I'm psyched.

I have never really cared for Brendan Benson, or his contributions to Jack's other side project the Raconteurs, and
I'm excited to see what Jack can do with some fresh blood. According to Pitchfork, Jack is playing drums and singing with this, his third band, and the debut LP is already due for a June release.

If I had to make up a label for the Kills, I guess I'd call them a fashion-blues (or maybe punk-blues?) duo. Their 2003 debut "Keep on Your Mean Side" combined arty nihilism, stomping-dirt guitars, drum machines, lots of sex and cig smoke for one nasty/awesome record. (The best chorus on the album is "Fuck the People.) Other sweet Kills tracks include "Fried My little Brains" and "Monkey 23." Their newer albums have been a little more boring, but still, they are pretty sweet.

This pairing does make perfect sense, the best parts of two blues/rock duos joining forces? I guess the Black Keys are next.

According to Stereogum, the new group coincides with the grand opening of the new offices for his Third Man Record label. The place includes a vinyl record store, photo studio, dark room, and performance stage. Who want to move to Nashville with me?

No comments: