Monday, June 16, 2008

BEST MUSIC OF 2008 (so far)

The year is halfway over. No album released this year has received the play in my car that "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" did last summer, nonetheless, the year's more half-full than half-empty at this midway juncture.

1. Fleet Foxes - "Fleet Foxes"
Gospel harmonies straight from a depression-era Alabama church, '60s folk and beard-worthy acoustics. Perfect.

2. Vampire Weekend - "Vampire Weekend"
Another hyped debut, so much so I hesitated buying it. Count me as one of their acolytes, I'm converted. Peter Gabriel, afro beats, blah blah blah

3. Cool Kids - "The Bake Sale" (EP)
Everyone has heard "Black Mags," more of the same. nice.

4. Black Keys - Attack and Release
Not thrilled with the result, I'll always like "Rubber Factory" the best, but compared to anything else this makes the last, if not just for the transcendent organ explosion at the end of the first track.

5. Racontuers - "Consolers of the Lonely"

ALBUMS RELEASED I NEED TO GIVE MORE TIME:
1. My Morning Jacket - "Evil Urges"
"Highly Suspicious" pisses the hell out of me, need to give the rest of the album more of a chance. Its a hell of a task to follow "Z".

2. No Age - "Nouns"
I'm new to the No Age camp.

3. Hot Chip - "Made in the Dark"
see above

4. Portishead - "Third"
Trip-hop has never really been my thing, but I'm giving it a fair go-around.

5. The Black Angels - "Directions to See A Ghost"
"Passover" blew me away in 2006 (shouldn't the Angel's sound be boring as hell, been there, done that? Somehow its still fresh) the drone, dying vocals, all awesome. "Ghost" needs more spins.

No comments: